Monday, January 4, 2010

Writers and their Souls

Good writers, writers that write things they care or believe about are vulnerable.

If you go over the work of an author (be it novel or lyrics) your going to find some of what they've experienced, what they believe, how they've been hurt, what they want to do.....

I find it an interesting study to read multiple works by the same writer and then research their life and see the similarities. Its much more obvious with some authors then others, but normally you can see something there.

Its not a blanket statement, but I believe many authors and song writers are more reserved; the type of people who really don't go around telling people how they feel or who tell secrets very freely. Maybe that's why some of them need to write- to get things out. (That's of course only one reason among many.)

Besides the fact that they open themselves to sometimes vicious criticism on their work, writers open themselves up to speculation and a more personal type of criticism. All writing that works has truth in it and sometimes its painful.

Just some thoughts... :-)
Miss Pickwickian

2 comments:

Laurel Beth said...

Wow, thank you! That really was a great reminder for me right now.
I don't think of myself as being a very good writer, it does not come easily to me and takes a long time for me to sort things out. But thinking about it, it probably has a a lot to do with the fact that I have a very difficult time opening up. I'm a pretty reserved person and while I have come up with many thoughts on different subjects that I'd like to share on my blog I'm very hesitant about it. I'm in a sense afraid of what others will think and so just sit back and tend to shut up when it comes to a lot of serious questions.
Thanks for the encouragement!
Your blog is lovely!
Laurel

dura mater said...

I'm glad you're brave enough to be vulnerable, and wise enough to understand what goes on inside of people.