Friday, July 9, 2010

Somewhere - Me


Here is a ramble on a few thoughts that have been bouncing around in my head and the song that came out of them.

I've been contemplating the idea of land for some time (as my journal and Aisha can attest).

What exactly is with land? I mean a particular plot of ground? For example...why is Scotland so amazing?
Is patriotism a loyalty to a particular group and set of ideas? To what we are used to and love? Or does it really have something to do with the actual ground?

How does history effect a place? Is it purely our knowledge of what happened there? Our knowledge of those who shed their blood for something they believed in?

It seems like we are often loyal to just dirt. Can that ever be a good thing?

Obviously if we didn't know what happened there we wouldn't get the feelings we do when we think about the history.
But what about the Covenentors for instance? Those places where men bled to death for what they believed in...they are just the same sort of dirt that's in your backyard?

If we aren't loyal to actual soil, why don't we just get up and leave when someone wants to push us out?

Why would people in history die in vicious wars just over getting some more land?

My conclusion....who knows? It's probably all in your head. But who knows?

I know I'm totally rambling, so here is the song...
I composed it on a very structured meter following an exercise in one of my books. It may sound a little choked, but it reads more like a song without music this way. ;-)
Enjoy!

Somewhere

Standing on the ground
Somewhere far away
Can you hear it calling?
What does it gravely say?

Drawing us all home
Somewhere we don’t know
Does history bring us there?
Can blood survive the foe?

Showing us a cause
Somewhere in their soul
Can that fight still echo?
Does soil become a scroll?

Listening to the past
Somewhere in the trees
Does the place remember?
Or just the mind that sees?

©Miss Pickwickian


Thanks for reading. Feel free to share your thoughts.
Miss Pickwickian

5 comments:

She Will Move Mountains said...

Very neat post! I happen to live at the base of a foothill, on what used to be an old corn-field/farm.

Susannah said...

I think it is excellent!

dura mater said...

I like this song a lot.

Jubilant Wife said...

I really like this song. I think it could be great put to music!

Brittany November said...

I likes the picture of Charles Dickens on your sidebars. Eheheh.