Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Stepping Heavenward - Elizabeth Prentice




Stepping Heavenward
by Elizabeth Prentice




Rating:
8
Readability: 8
Impact: 9





Read it Again:
This is the second time, but I certainly hope to read it again. So, yes!
Recommend it: Yes

What to Expect

Elizabeth Prentice carefully weaves the story of a sometimes discouraged and sometimes exuberant Christian through a journal.
Although this book is written in first person by its principle character, Katherine Elliot, we are still able to see the changes and growth in her life.

It is a tale of a inner and outer journey towards peace in Christ.


My Squib

I have read Stepping Heavenward before, but at the suggestion of a friend, we both read it again.

I'm so glad I did!

Although some find it overly pious or troubled, I think others will find it speaks directly to them in a sympathizing way they can understand.
There are certainly some aspects of Katherine Elliot's life that we can all relate too.

As a classic and as an inspiration I believe most readers should enjoy this book, especially young ladies.

Anyways, thanks Aisha for reading through it again with me!

From the Book

"January 15, 1831 - How dreadfully old I am getting! Sixteen! Well, I don't see as I can help it. There it is in the big Bible in father's own hand.

Katherine, born January 15, 1815

I meant to get up early this morning, but it looked dismally cold out of doors, and I felt delightfully warm in bed. So I covered myself up, and made ever so many good resolutions..."

"January 16, 1847 - This is the tenth anniversary of our wedding-day, and it has been a delightful one. If I were called upon to declare what has been the chief element of my happiness, I should say it was not Ernest's love to me or mine to him, or that I am once more the mother of three children, or that my own dear mother still lives, though I revel in each and all of these. But underneath them all, deeper stronger than all, lies a peace with God that I can compare to no other joy, which guard as I would gaurd hid treasure, and which must abide if all things else pass away."

1 comment:

dura mater said...

Thanks for the review. I read this book many, many years ago. I should read it again.

I like your last quote... More and more I see, as I inevitably get older, and as my life changes with the changes in our household and extended family, that God is truly our one unchanging, ever-strong refuge. He is the One we must stake our happiness in.