Thursday, March 25, 2010

Love in the Media and Two Songs


Today's media is saturated in the culture's definition of "Love". I recently listened to an excellent lecture on Biblical Womanhood by Voddi Baucham. He had some excellent points on love. What it is and what it isn't.

I've attempted several times before to write some lyrics for what I think a real sort of love is like. They've all been less then mediocre. Never really felt like I got my point across. I have two more in the rough, maybe I'll post them tomorrow. We'll see.

Anyways, I just wanted to put that out there.
How often do we think of the biblical definition of love? How should effect art that Christians create? We should be able to show
true love, which is really so much better then what the culture struggles with.

Here are two songs that have come to my attention recently. I like different aspects of both.



Chris Cagle's
Look What I Found

(Brett James/Don Schlitz)

For so long, I searched in desperation
For one love, that would always be true
I came close, but there were always complications
I finally decided there was nothing I could do
So I gave up
And I let go
And as soon as I did
Wouldn't you know

Just look what I found when I wasn't looking
Look what I found when I was just being me
I turned around and love was mine for the taking
Look what I found when she found me

Now there's a lot of lonely people out there waiting
And there's a lot of lonely people searching too
But if you've got too many expectations
You might miss the one who's right in front of you
No telling when
No telling why
She'll say hello and you'll know
You'll never say goodbye

Just look what I found when I wasn't looking
Look what I found when I was just being me
I turned around and love was mine for the taking
Look what I found when she found me

And every single day I'm still surprised
When I turn around and I look into her eyes
I'm a like a kid who won a prize
Look what I found
Just look at what I found

Just look what I found when I wasn't looking
Look what I found when I was just being me
I turned around and love was mine for the taking
Look what I found when she found me


There are a lot of things that are awesome about this song. It seems like often in life when we relax and trust God about our right person coming along, they do!
I also love the line "Look what I found when I was just being me". These lines stuck with me too, "But if you've got too many expectations, You might miss the one who's right in front of you."

This song actually talks about several things I tried to incorporate on some lyrics I was writing several weeks ago. I was excited to find in on my Pandora station this week.


The second song also popped up on my Pandora station, song by Johnsmith. Johnsmith is certainly not my favorite singer, but I looked up the song and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was written by Darrell Scott. (Darrell Scott wrote a lot of awesome songs, some that Tim O'Brien performs, and is also a rustic Bluegrass artist. He has played with many well known bluegrass and country singers including Sara Evans, Tim McGraw, Garth Brooks, etc...)


I couldn't find a recording of it, so here are the lyrics.

Loves Not Through With Me Yet
Darrell Scott

Oh, I have seen the young girls cry

Thinking love has passed them by

They’re struggling with a heavy load

But if love’s not here, it’s down the road

And I have seen the young men run

Just like their father’s father’s son

They take the love and leave the shame

Oh, but one day love will call their name and say

Can you love without needing

Lift it up as a silent prayer

Can you open your heart without bleeding

Take that open heart everywhere

Can you hold a place within your breast

For someone you’ve never met

Well then, love’s not through with you yet

Well, I have climbed to lover’s lane

I felt the joy, I felt the pain

Asking for another’s soul

Thinking they could make me whole

Now I heard a voice from deep inside

Saying you’re not blamed for love you tried

Oh, you may think that love takes two

But love’s a gift from you to you

Can you love without needing

Lift it up as a silent prayer

Can you open your heart without bleeding

Take that open heart everywhere

And I have tried without ceasing

To give love without regret

I know love’s not through with me yet

Can you hold a place within your breast

For someone you’ve never met

Then love’s not through with you

I said love’s not through with me

I know love’s not through with us yet

I'm not sure what Darrell Scott meant exactly by it all, but I think it is a really cool song. It gives a lot of things to think about and, I think, has a lot of truth to say.
Wish I could find a recording of it.

Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed it. I always enjoy hearing your opinions and ideas.
Thanks,
Miss Pickwickian

No comments: