Saturday, January 29, 2011

Josh Groban's Illumanations


So...I've been having an interesting time listening to Josh Groban's new CD, Illuminations.

I know there's been some discussion on it since it is pretty different from his other CDs. The instrumentals are different and the songs are different.

I love the instrumentals, but to be honest, I'm not sure what he exactly meant with all the lyrics.
For instance, Please Follow Me puzzled me for the first dozen times or so...I think it's an amazing song and I know what I think it means, but still not confident on what he wanted it to mean.

Higher Window is my second favorite-

Over all, I like the CD better than his previous ones, but I wish there were more notes with the album. I think I know what they mean and I often like lyrics you have to think about (I'm a Bob Dyan fan if you hadn't noticed).
But still...it would be interesting to know what he meant when writing them.

What do think Please Follow Me is about? How about War at Home? Or this one, Higher Window?

Thanks for reading,
Miss Pickwickian

3 comments:

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

My brother gave me 'Illuminations' for Christmas and as a die hard Groban fan I actually wasn't expecting to like this new and different grouping of songs. But from the very first instrumental track I was captivated and found myself being pulled in again by his amazing rich voice! I've listened to this album over and over again and find it very relaxing and the melodies are amazing!
I too found myself a little confused at the lyrics and I still haven't figured them all out. They all seem to have a theme of love lost and asking the girl to come back or to stay. I haven't really analyzed all the lyrics but I have a feeling that 'War At Home' is probably about war not only being on the battlefield but that it stays with the soldier after he comes home or like struggles in life feeling like a loosing battle.
'Please Follow Me' seems to be about a guy who is afraid of love and sure he's going to do something stupid and he's asking the girl just to stick with him even if he walks away. I love the melody!
The style of the music on this album is so beautiful, I love the instrumentals!

~Miss Laurie
Old-Fashioned Charm

Aunt Dahlia said...

Miss Pickwickian,

Let me recommend this list: http://www.songfacts.com/artist:josh_groban.php

I discovered songfacts.com about a year ago, and have been very pleased with the variety of songs for which they have meanings.

And this is my favorite Josh Groban album so far. For some reason, I think that he's able to give more of himself in it. I especially enjoy 'War At Home', which reminds me of the protest songs of the '60's and '70's, giving us a forcible reminder of those who have survived, those whom we so easily forget.

Bethany said...

Dahlia,
Thanks for the link and the take on "War at Home". That's a very interesting site. I really enjoyed poking around.

Miss Lourie,
Thanks for your comments.
When I listen to "Follow Me" carefully it seems like it's talking about the guy moving towards something better...like leaving behind a bad past...and he wants the girl to follow him. That's how I like to think of it.
It is a BEAUTIFUL song!

Thanks,
Miss Pickwickian