Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Character - Tuvia Bielski



I have an irrational love of the movie Defiance.

I know it is not completely accurate, but it is an extremely powerful movie and very well done. I own it, and although it's not one you want to watch over and over again to close together, it's well worth owning.

Please note that this movie is disturbing and really deserves it's R rating. At the beginning it shows actual German footage of a brutal attack on a Jewish village. There is quite a bit of violence, but really the most disturbing aspect is that things like this actually happen.
We've always watched it on Clearplay, so I'm not sure if I'm recommending it or not without it.

I love movies that show a lot of people together and how they change through similar experiences (think Flyboys, Remember the Titans, and Master and Commander). Defiance does this beautifully.

The individuality of the Bielski brothers and their relationships is amazingly done. Simply awesome.

The Bielski Brothers
Zua, Aron, Tuvia, and Aseal

Zus (Liev Schreiber) and Tuvia (Daniel Craig)
Probably the most complicated relationship in the movie.

Zus and Tuvia
This is the part where I want to-
1) Die
2) Cry my eyes out
3) Rave about good acting
4) Wish I could write something like this

The reason I think Tuvia is just an awesome character are many.
I guess the most obvious and over all is that he is fully drawn. He is not perfect, but he is believable and he is extremely likable. He's a strong character.

He is a true leader.
He is both strong and compassionate.

He is an awesome brother.

And on a more trivial note....
He has an awesome white horse.

An outstanding collar.

And
I love most World War II era clothing...but this coat...
Yes. Very good.

He's a down to earth character, strong character. It think he's interesting to study and I'd love to be able to create one as fully drawn.

Edward Zwick directed and wrote the screenplay with Clayton Froham. I don't think I've seen anything else done by Edward Zwick, but he does an amazing job in Defiance.

Thanks for reading,
Miss Pickwickian

6 comments:

Rebekah Rose said...

*CRY* That was a great poast.

I'm feeling really emotional now... I totally agree with everything you say btw! ;)

She Will Move Mountains said...

After just having read this post I headed on over to my Netflix account to see if I could find this movie, and indeed I did and it was available for viewing on the Netflix Instant Queue (that plays through your Wii Console or your computer.) I am really looking forward to watching this movie, as I love movies like this one. Thanks for sharing, Miss Pickwickian! =)
Blessings,
Sarah

Susannah said...

Gah. I love him.

Elinor D. said...

Yes, the collar is definitely a reason to like him.;)

Unknown said...

I have yet to see this!! But it looks like something I would enjoy! :) I'll have to rent it sometime.
I agree...that horse and collar make me like him already :D

Mama Chocolate said...

It's saying something when I say I like this movie, too.
Generally I hate World War II movies because of the disturbing aspect of the violence.
With the exception of "Life is Beautiful" of course. :-)